Thursday, August 26, 2010

Post-Mortem

I put 7421 miles on the car.
I spent $423.29 and purchased 151.59 gallons of gas.
Based on these numbers, average gas mileage was 49 mpg.
Best gas mileage according to the car gauge was 55.5 between Flagstaff and Las Vegas.
According to my calculations, that same tank was really 51.8 mpg.
The car calculated 3 - 7 percent better gas mileage than actual gas mileage for the first 2/3rds of the trip, but beginning in Utah on the return trip, was never more than 1 tenth of 1 percent off.

The biggest surprise was getting only 48.2 mpg in Nebraska.  I figured that would be my high point, as I was heading down from the Rocky Mountains.

Instead, the best calculated tank was on the trip from Yosemite to San Francisco, then back to Sacramento.

My return partner consistently marveled at how comfortable the Prius was and how nice it was to drive.

I do not regret our purchase and hope to take it out on another long trip soon!
Thanks for checking out the blog.  This is the last post.

1 comment:

  1. Jeff,
    Betty and I thoroughly enjoyed your blog. Very well-written and most interesting. I'm sure You and Will and Norah will enjoy life-long memories.
    (Didn't realize you had a Prius. We bought one last December and think it is great. Our trip to Canada and back recently averaged 52.6 mpg.)
    Tom

    ReplyDelete